July 28, 2020
Robert Morris University, in accordance with guidelines and recommendations from various highly respected experts in the recreational and medical industries, such as the Ice Sports Industry, USA Hockey, US Figure Skating, UPMC, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Governor Wolf’s Process to Reopen Pennsylvania plan, and the Allegheny County Health Department has created the following protocols and procedures for the reopening of the Robert Morris University Island Sports Center. These protocols and procedures are designed to provide a recreational and training complex to guests, athletes and the ISC staff that is safe by minimizing exposure to the risk of contracting or spreading COVID-19. They will be continually updated as new information and data is introduced and will be in place until further notice. These protocols and procedures will be in addition to any specific ISC programming, activity, league, or services protocols and procedures. RMU takes the health of our customers, students, and staff very seriously. We will continue to follow and adhere to the instructions, guidance, and Orders provided by our health agencies, until the Orders are lifted.
Coming to the RMU Island Sports Center
- If anyone in your family has any COVID-19 symptoms, or if they are not feeling well, we ask that you please stay home.
- If you have a weakened immune system, or living with someone who is considered vulnerable, we recommend that you please stay home.
- The Allegheny County Health Department recommends that people take precautions while traveling and quarantine for 14 days after returning. For details visit
- We require that all guests practice social distancing by staying at least 6 feet away from other people not in your group.
- The Governor’s and local health department Orders require all patrons to wear masks while on the premises. Exempted are those who have a medical condition that precludes them from wearing a mask (including children under the age of 2 years per CDC guidance).
- Coaches, athletes, and spectators must wear face coverings in the facility, which includes athletes who are entering and exiting the facility, and coaches who are on the bench or playing surface. Athletes are not required to wear them when actively engaged in workouts and competition that prevent the wearing of masks, and where doing so jeopardizes their health.
- Nonessential visitors and spectators should not enter the facility.
- Parents/guardians should refrain from entering the facility. Participants should be dropped off and picked up whenever possible. Only one parent/guardian per child may enter and remain, but must wear a mask and practice social distancing. Additional non-skating siblings and/or family or friends are not permitted in the facility so that we can abide by the governor’s occupancy limits and social distancing orders.
- Parents and spectators are encouraged to watch their child or acquaintance outside the building or at home on the LiveBarn streaming service for activity on the ice rinks and Stadium Rink (use ISC discount sign-up code: 7a96-eb26).
- Please follow all posted signage.
- Please arrive no more than 15 minutes prior to your activities start time.
- Please do not congregate before and after activities.
- Although some of our lockers rooms will be open, we ask that participants arrive fully dressed for their activity whenever possible.
- Locker room bathrooms and showers will not be open.
- Locker room occupancy limits will be posted outside of each locker room.
- There may be limits imposed to the number of participants on the ice or inline rinks. Please refer to the activity you are registered for these details.
- Please leave your equipment bags at home or use a much smaller bag to carry only a few items.
- We will not be loaning equipment out.
- The pro shop is open for purchases.
- The entire Island Sports Center has been deep cleaned with CDC registered disinfectants. This includes all locker rooms, bathrooms, coaches’ rooms, seating areas, office spaces and flooring.
- All dasher boards and Plexiglas have been cleaned and sanitized in all four rinks.
- All touch surfaces have been cleaned and sanitized. These surfaces are then sanitized throughout the day.
- All air filters in our HVAC systems have been replaced and continue to be replaced routinely.
- Locker room walls and doors, hallway walls, and rink walls have been cleaned and repainted.
- Player benches, penalty boxes, and scorer boxes have been cleaned and sanitized.
- The frequency of cleaning in all public spaces has been increased.
- Video games and vending machines have all been cleaned and sanitized. They will be sanitized routinely.
- Plexiglas infection barriers have been installed at Guest Services, Pro Shop, Skate Rental, Bistro, Golf Dome, and Mini Golf.
- Touchless paper towel dispensers have been installed in the public restrooms. Air hand dryers have been turned off.
- Additional hand sanitizing stations have been installed.
- Traffic flow and social distancing signage have been posted.
- CDC approved hygiene and health signage has been updated and posted.
- All guests and employees are required to wear masks while on the premises or in the facility other than when on the ice or sport court or participating in an activity where doing so jeopardizes their health.
- The entrance to the main building will be directional. Right doors in, left doors out.
- All water fountains and bottle fillers will be turned off. Each player will need to bring their own water bottle. Vending machines are available.
- Credit card readers and pens will be sanitized after each use. Some signature requirements will be waived.
- We are strongly recommending using our website to register for programming, activities, and leagues.
- Our pro shop will be open and practicing strict social distancing protocols.
- Our pro shop will be offering all services including skate sharpening.
- All employees have been trained in COVID-19 safety and sanitation protocols.
- All employees have been instructed to stay home if they do not feel well.
- Employees that report any symptoms will follow a thorough reporting procedure.
- All employee hand tools, equipment, computer peripherals, workstations and break rooms are cleaned and sanitized multiple times per day.
- Employees are required to wear masks. Employees will wear gloves based on their job activities.
- All employees have been instructed to wash their hands every 60 minutes following CDC guidelines.