August 28, 2020
Robert Morris University, in accordance with guidelines and recommendations from respected experts in the health field such as UPMC, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Governor Wolf’s Process to Reopen Pennsylvania plan, the Allegheny County Health Department, and in the recreational sports field such as Ice Sports Industry, USA Hockey, and US Figure Skating, has developed the following protocols and procedures for the Robert Morris University Island Sports Center (ISC). These protocols and procedures are designed to provide a recreational and training complex to guests, athletes, and the ISC staff that is safe by minimizing exposure to the risk of contracting or spreading COVID-19. They will be continually updated as new information and data is introduced and will be in place until further notice. These protocols and procedures will be in addition to any specific ISC programming, activity, league, or services protocols and procedures. We take the health of our customers, students, and staff very seriously, and we will continue to follow, utilize, and adhere to instructions, guidance, and orders provided by our health agencies.
Warning: An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public location where people are present; we cannot guarantee you will not be exposed during your visit. COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death and people who show no symptoms can spread COVID-19 if they are infected. According to the CDC, older adults and people of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions might be at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19. Visit the CDC website for the latest guidance. By visiting the RMU Island Sports Center you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
Coming to the RMU Island Sports Center
- If anyone in your family has any COVID-19 symptoms, or if they are not feeling well, do not visit the Island Sports Center and please stay home.
- If you have a weakened immune system, or living with someone who is considered vulnerable, please stay home.
- The Allegheny County Health Department recommends that people take precautions while traveling and quarantine for 14 days after returning. For details visit
- We require that all guests practice social distancing by staying at least 6 feet away from other people not in your group while in the facility and on the premises.
- The Governor’s and local health department orders require all patrons to wear masks while on the premises. Exempted are those who have a medical condition that precludes them from wearing a mask (including children under the age of 2 years per CDC guidance).
- Coaches and athletes must wear face coverings in the facility, which includes entering and exiting the facility, and coaches who are on the bench or playing/training surface. Athletes are required to wear them while changing into or out of equipment, but they are not required to wear them when actively engaged in workouts and competition that prevent the wearing of masks, and where doing so jeopardizes their health. Players wearing a hockey helmet do not need to wear a mask while migrating between locker room/changing area and the playing surface.
- Nonessential visitors and spectators are not permitted to enter the facility.
- Parents/guardians should refrain from entering the facility. Participants should be dropped off and picked up whenever possible.
- If necessary, only one parent/guardian per child may enter the facility and remain, but must wear a mask and practice social distancing. Additional non-skating siblings should not enter the facility. However, if a sibling must attend, the child must wear a mask, stay with the parent at all times, and social distance from others in the facility. Other family or friends are not permitted in the facility so that we can abide by the governor’s and health department’s occupancy limits and social distancing orders.
- Parents are not to congregate inside or outside the facility without practicing 6 feet social distancing.
- Parents and spectators are encouraged to watch their child or acquaintance outside the building or at home on the LiveBarn streaming service for activity on the ice rinks and Stadium Rink (use ISC discount sign-up code: 7a96-eb26).
- Please arrive no more than 15 minutes prior to your activities start time, and proceed directly to your designated/applicable area. Remain in that area as much as possible.
- Do not congregate before and after activities. Please leave immediately after your activity is over.
- Although some of our locker and changing rooms are open, we ask that participants arrive fully dressed for their activity whenever possible. Due to occupancy limits in these rooms, additional chairs and benches are placed throughout the facility to also use.
- Locker room occupancy limits will be posted outside of each locker room. Masks must be worn while in the locker and changing rooms.
- Please leave your equipment bags at home or use a much smaller bag to carry only a few items.
- Locker room bathrooms and showers are not available.
- There may be limits imposed to the number of participants on the ice and inline rinks. Please refer to the ISC activity you are registered for these details, as there may be limits and guidelines specific to that particular ISC program.
- No more than twenty five (25) people are permitted to participate in an indoor specific on-ice event. This total includes coaches and players/participants. Two (2) separate events, such as a hockey practice, can take place if the practices are separated by two (2) sets of bumper pads at least three (3) feet on each side of the center ice red line, creating at least a six (6) foot dead space between the two (2) practices. Participants from either side are not permitted to cross over into each other’s zone. Participants must enter and exit the rink without entering the other’s zone.
- No more than fifty (50) people are permitted to participate on each outdoor rink. The total includes coaches and players/participants, referees, etc.
- We will not loan equipment out.
- The pro shop is open for purchases.
- Please follow all posted signage.
- RMU management reserves the right to remove patrons if not compliant with facility requirements.
- The entire Island Sports Center had been deep cleaned prior to reopening and is cleaned regularly with CDC registered disinfectants.
- Player benches, penalty boxes, and scorer boxes are cleaned and sanitized regularly.
- Touch surfaces are regularly cleaned and sanitized.
- Video games and vending machines are cleaned and sanitized routinely.
- Locker room walls and doors, hallway walls, and rink walls have been repainted and cleaned.
- The frequency of cleaning in all public spaces has been increased.
- All air filters in our HVAC systems are replaced routinely.
- Plexiglass infection barriers are at Guest Services, Pro Shop, Skate Rental, Bistro, Golf Dome, and Mini Golf.
- Touchless paper towel dispensers are in the public restrooms. Air hand dryers are turned off.
- Hand sanitizing stations are located throughout the complex.
- Traffic flow and social distancing signage is posted.
- CDC approved hygiene and health signage is posted.
- The front entrance to the facility is directional. Right doors in, left doors out.
- All water fountains and bottle fillers are turned off. Each player will need to bring their own water bottle.
- The Bistro is closed. Vending machines with beverages and snacks are available.
- Credit card readers and pens are regularly sanitized. Some signature requirements are waived.
- We strongly recommend using our website to register for programming, activities, and leagues.
- Our pro shop is open and practicing social distancing protocols.
- Our pro shop offers all services including skate sharpening.
- All employees have been trained in COVID-19 safety and sanitation protocols.
- All employees have been instructed to stay home if they do not feel well.
- Employees that report any symptoms will follow a thorough reporting procedure.
- All employee hand tools, equipment, computer peripherals, workstations and break rooms are cleaned and sanitized regularly.
- Employees are required to wear masks. Employees wear gloves based on their job activities.
- All employees have been instructed to wash their hands as per CDC guidelines.