September 29, 2020
Robert Morris University, in accordance with guidelines and recommendations from respected experts in the health field such as UPMC, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Governor Wolf’s Process to Reopen Pennsylvania plan, the Allegheny County Health Department, and in the recreational sports field such as Ice Sports Industry, USA Hockey, and US Figure Skating, has developed the following protocols and procedures for the Robert Morris University Island Sports Center (ISC). These protocols and procedures are designed to provide a recreational and training complex to guests, athletes, and the ISC staff that is safe by minimizing exposure to the risk of contracting or spreading COVID-19. They will be continually updated as new information and data is introduced and will be in place until further notice. These protocols and procedures will be in addition to any specific ISC programming, activity, league, or services protocols and procedures. We take the health of our customers, students, and staff very seriously, and we will continue to follow, utilize, and adhere to instructions, guidance, and orders provided by our health agencies.
Warning: An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public location where people are present; we cannot guarantee you will not be exposed during your visit. COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death, and people who show no symptoms can spread COVID-19 if they are infected. According to the CDC, older adults and people of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions might be at higher risk for sever illness from COVID-19. Visit the CDC website for the latest guidance. By visiting the RMU Island Sports Center you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
Attention: RMU management reserves the right to remove patrons if not compliant with facility requirements.
Coming to the RMU Island Sports Center
Customer/Participant Safety Guidelines, Policies, and Procedures
- If anyone in your family has any COVID-19 symptoms, or if they are not feeling well, do not visit the Island Sports Center and please stay home.
- If you have a weakened immune system, or living with someone who is considered vulnerable, please stay home.
- The Allegheny County Health Department recommends that people take precautions while traveling and quarantine for 14 days after returning.
- We require that all guests practice social distancing by staying at least 6 feet away from other people not in your group while in the facility and on the premises.
- The Governor’s and health department’s orders require all patrons to wear masks while on the premises. Exempted are those who have a medical condition that precludes them from wearing a mask (including children under the age of 2 years per CDC guidance).
- Teams are allowed to have full rostered teams on the bench and the playing surface for practices and games.
- Coaches and athletes must wear face coverings in the facility, which includes entering and exiting the facility.
- Coaches who are on the bench or on the playing surface must wear masks.
- Athletes are required to wear masks while changing into or out of equipment, but they are not required to wear masks when actively engaged in workouts and competition that prevent the wearing of them, and where doing so jeopardizes their health. Players wearing a hockey helmet do not need to wear a mask while migrating between locker room/changing area and the playing surface.
- Referees must wear a mask everywhere in the facility, including the locker room and surrounding hallways, but not while on the playing surface.
- Team managers and game personnel (medic, scorekeeper, PA announcer, penalty box attendants, etc.) must keep masks on at all times while inside the facility.
- Nonessential visitors and spectators are not permitted to enter the facility.
- Parents/guardians should refrain from entering the facility. Players should be dropped off and picked up whenever possible.
- If necessary, only one parent/guardian per child may enter the facility and remain, but must wear a mask at all times and practice social distancing. Additional non-skating siblings should not enter the facility. However, if a sibling must attend, the child must wear a mask, stay with the parent at all times, and social distance from others in the facility. Other family or friends are not permitted in the facility.
- High school and amateur hockey leagues, such as the PIHL, PAHL and PIRHL, may impose stricter parent/guardian/spectator policies for their games that must be adhered to. However, any policies they implement must first be approved by RMU management.
- It is the respective league’s responsibility to inform its member organizations of the ISC’s policies and procedures. It is the home team’s responsibility for informing the visiting team for any non-league scrimmage, game, or shared practice of ISC’s policies and procedures, as well as being responsible for helping to enforce them.
- Parents/guardians are not to congregate inside or outside the facility without practicing 6 feet social distancing.
- Parents and spectators are encouraged to watch their child or acquaintance outside the building or at home on the LiveBarn streaming service for activity on the indoor ice rinks and outdoor rinks (use ISC discount sign-up code: 7a96-eb26).
- Players and parents should arrive no more than 15 minutes prior to their respective activity start time, and proceed directly to their designated/applicable area. Remain in that area as much as possible.
- Parents shall not enter a locker/changing room nor surrounding hallways unless necessary to help their young child with skates and helmet before and after activity.
- Do not congregate before and after activities. Leave immediately after your activity is over.
- Although some of our locker/changing rooms are open, we ask that players arrive dressed in full gear, except skates, gloves, and helmet, for their activity. Due to occupancy limits in these locker and changing rooms, additional chairs and benches are placed throughout the facility to also use.
- Locker and changing room occupancy limits are posted outside of each locker room. Masks must be worn while in the locker and changing rooms, and locker room doors must remain open at all times.
- Please leave equipment bags at home or use a much smaller bag to carry only a few items.
- Locker room bathrooms and showers are not available.
- Some ISC programs may have limit and other policies and procedures that slightly differ and are more specific to each program. You will need to refer to and abide by the specific details of the program or activity you are registering for.
- We do not loan equipment out.
- We do not maintain a Lost & Found. All found articles are thrown away.
- The pro shop is open for purchases.
- Follow all posted signage.
- RMU management reserves the right to remove patrons if not compliant with facility requirements.